Sri Lanka Tourism plans to reopen its tourism sector from 1st Aug 2020 and welcome tourists from all over the world.
Sri Lanka was named as the best country in the world to visit by Lonely Planet in 2019. Also, more than 2 million tourists visited last year. As a result, Sri Lanka’s tourism industry contributes 11% to the country’s GDP. Although the tourism industry has been closed for months due to COVID-19, it is yet to open again with safety guidelines and precautionary measures.
Sri Lanka Tourism Reopen – New Rules from 1st Aug 2020
Who can visit Sri Lanka:
- All nationalities are welcome and all kinds of travelers as groups, families, and individuals.
Minimum stay in Sri Lanka:
- A minimum 5-nights stay in Sri Lanka
- Bandaranaike International Airport [BIA]
- Colombo Ratmalana Airport [RMA]
- Mattala Rajapaksa Hambantota Airport [MRIA]
Visa procedures for Sri Lanka:
- All travelers must have a valid visa and Tourists will get 30 days visa. However, They can extend up to 6 months after arrival. Apply for the online visa at www.eta.gov.lk
- Additional relaxation for long-term guests is currently under consideration. However, Tourists will be granted five years of multiple entry visas for a maximum of 6 months.
- Visa fee US$100
Required Documents for visa application:
- Booking details at Certified Accommodation
- Itinerary in Sri Lanka
- Return ticket
- Proof of medical insurance
Where can you stay:
- You can only stay in hotels approved by the Sri Lanka Tourism Department. Also, require to submit the reservation details of the certified hostel for the visa application.
Pre-departure Covid-19 PCR testing:
- You need a negative PCR test before boarding your flight and on arrival in Sri Lanka. Also, the test should not be old for 72 hours before boarding.
COVID-19 Testing on arrival in Sri Lanka:
- There is no isolation on arrival unless symptoms are detected.
- Upon arrival at the airport, the PCR will be checked. should pay 65$ for those PCR tests ( Updated on 25/06/2020).
- It is currently 24 hours to get test results. Sri Lanka Tourism is making changes to get results within 4-6 hours from August. However, In the event it is necessary to wait 24 hours for test results, passengers can choose a hotel for one night stay from certified 4 or 5-star hotels in Colombo or Negombo until the test results are available.
- The mobile unit will arrive at your hotel for further testing after 4-5 days.
- Passengers who stay longer than 10 days must take a third check. When it is difficult, it is important to protect everyone and provide peace of mind.
- In the event of a positive PCR result, Travelers will either be isolated or hospitalized in the designated hotel, depending on the details of the case. Moreover, quarantine is usually 14 to 21 days if symptoms are detected.
Travel around Sri Lanka:
- You should arrange transportation with your certified shelter provider or travel agent prior to your arrival To ensure your safety. Although, you should not use public transport.
- All tourist sites will be open from August 1 with safety protocols and measures to ensure the well-being of our travelers.
- Tourists will not have travel restrictions between districts.
For More Information
- Sri Lanka Tourism Operational Guidelines with Health Protocols – Version 1 can be download here
- Dial 1912 for 24/7 Tourist Hotline
- Essentials packing list before you travel to Sri Lanka